Saturday, March 21, 2009

Blog Post #8

I would love to be at the Felix G. Woodward Library at Austin Peay State University at 2:00 pm March 31. Bruce Barry will be giving a presentation entitled "Freedom of Speech on a University Campus and in the Workplace" based on his book Speechless: The Erosion of Free Expression in the American Workplace. As a 20-something woman who has never held a "real job," the review I found of Barry's book terrified me. I can accept that I cannot speak as freely as I can when sitting in a restaurant with my friends on a Friday night, but it worries me that I could be fired for the views I express outside of the workplace. If it would have to do with my job or with the organization I work for, then I could potentially understand the conflict; to be fired for expressing a view that does not have anything to do with the job or the company is appalling to me. While I do not utilize bumper stickers to express my opinion, I do not think any one's job should be at risk for something like that. The one that made me the most nervous was the flight attendant whose job was at risk because the airline did not like what she was writing on her personal blog. My blog safety and privacy has been questioned during this class, but I have complete control over who can see my personal blog as it is protected through a username (the person's email that I add as allowed users) and a password that they choose. The thought of my personal thoughts having an effect on my job is incredibly unsettling. My performance at part time job has nothing to do with my political beliefs, or my choices when I am not at work.

Based on the review, I'm wondering how others feel about this and if anyone else is wanting to read Barry's book.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not heard of this book or the author, although the publisher is one I admire so the first two gain a lot of credibility just because of the connection. Wow, I knew things were not good but the review makes me want to read further. Maybe I will try to get my hands on it. Just checked - my library has a copy on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete