Thursday, February 26, 2009

Studying? Not at the library!

What are some reasons people might come to the library? To read books owned by the library? To peruse research materials supplied by the library? To study materials I bring in myself? Apparently, the last reason is not an acceptable reason to go to a public library in Singapore. As reported at aisaone, a 16 year old student was told to leave the library because he was studying and not utilizing materials supplied by the library.

I was floored when I saw this article. Before I got internet access in my apartment, I relied on walking the few blocks from my apartment to the nearest public library to use my laptop to check my email, correspond with my friends and family, and keep up on my other online activities.

The article states that the National Library Board says all libraries are to allow self-study at their tables, but that patrons are to acquiesce requests to give up tables to patrons who are utilizing library materials.

This got me thinking back to when I was in undergrad. My sophomore year was when the new library opened on campus and it instantly became THE place to study. (My sorority kind of took over the 2nd floor at any point in time during the day.) Having the background that I do, I probably utilized books or computers provided by the library every day or every other day. However, I know plenty of people who only utilized the library as an area to self-study. Particularly around mid-terms and finals, the library was packed. If people would have been kicked out for not using library materials, there may have only been about 10 people in the library at that time. Comparing an academic library and a public library is probably not fair, however, I find it hard to believe that every person who walks into a public library is coming in to peruse the library's materials.

What is Singapore's public libraries trying to teach young adults when they kick them out for quietly studying and minding their own business?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing this situation to our attention. I guess sometimes we take so much for granted and hopefully we will constantly be reminded of what we have.
    Unfortunately for the Singapore library patrons, their libraries are really not there to serve the public, they are there to promote the libraries themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my limited overseas travel I have seen great variations in libraries and the services that are offered. Some are far ahead of the U.S. and others more like the Singapore library you mention.

    ReplyDelete